My Boring Life

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Crazy Ride #22332

Saturday, 5 May, 2007, 21:21 - Cycling, Legends

Here's the crazy story, finally; and only four days later...

I chose to do this particular ride on that particular day because that was the last day that the weather was going to be good for a few days at least. In other words, it would be too hot the following day; and the way the weather can be around here, who knew how long it would be before the temperatures cooled off...

I was out the door and on the road at around 8:30 AM, my plan being to be back before 4:00 so I could drive up to Folsom for a barbeque at a friend's house. Things don't always work out the way you plan them!

It is 10 miles from my house to the base of Mount Hamilton, and that part went very well. Once the road kicked up, I was surprised at how easy the climbing felt. If only I had my new bike! The climbing of Mount Hamilton Road does seem to go on for a long time, but not really forever. It's just not steep enough to feel like actual suffering. Of course, if the temperature was any warmer, I would have been struggling mightily.

I made it to the top in a reasonable amount of time (1:54 from the intersection of Alum Rock and MHR to the Lick Observatory parking lot). Once I was at the top, a motorcyclist named Dan struck up a conversation and we chatted for a pretty long time about mountain biking and other roads in the area that are fun to ride. Meanwhile another group of cyclists topped out. One of them came over and said hello. It turned out to be Paul Sadoff, the guy who is building my new bike (Rock Lobster Bicycles). He said he would be calling me soon. So yes, I am looking forward to that call!

The descent down the backside was fairly uneventful, though the road is a bit tricky in places. Bare asphalt can be pretty slippery if you aren't paying attention. But once the road turned to the north, I was facing the brunt of the wind. Riding north on Mines Road was almost like riding in a wind tunnel. Brutal! But then I started passing 'Team In Training' riders who were out for a long training ride getting ready for a century up in Tahoe in a few weeks. Passing them kept me motivated into Livermore. Then it was a simple matter of riding down through Pleasanton and Sunol and back into Fremont. After stopping for a tuna sandwich, cookies and Gatorade; I headed home. The total ellapsed time was about 8:15. Totals: 111 miles with about 7500 feet of climbing...

And I was too exhausted to drive to Folsom, so I hung out at home with a couple of cold beers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home