My Boring Life

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Live from Saint Andrews, Scotland...

Such a beautiful place! Too bad I only get 9 days to explore it...

My flight in went fairly well, except for that small security issue they were having at Heathrow whilst my plane was getting ready to leave for Manchester. Apparently, an international flight came into the domestic terminal and disembarked its passengers into said terminal. This of course resulted in us departing an hour or so late. And me missing my connecting flight to Edinburgh! But it wasn't all bad. I still got to Edinburgh that night, and was still able to get my rental car. Didn't mention that to anyone, did I? I figured that I might as well try driving on the wrong side of the road for a while... So far that's going just fine. My car is a tiny little Renault (about the size of our old Daihatsu).

I spent the first night in the town of Queensferry, a bit west of the city. In the morning, I headed back through town and explored bits of Leith and around Easter Road. It was cool to see the original golf course (conveniently located next to the kirk in Leith). Watching a Hibernian match live on the tele at the local pub was pretty darn cool as well. Even though they lost... The on-tap beer here is far better than anything you can get back home! A bit of sadness though, I won't get to see the Hibees play, as the next game has been postponed. The captain of the Motherwell side collapsed and died during their game yesterday. I may still get to see a different game though. I need to check on the fixtures to find out where else to catch a match on Wednesday.

This morning (Sunday), I headed out to Saint Andrews. This has to be amongst the most beautiful places that I have ever been. Climbing to the top of Saint Gile's Tower (part of the cathedral), walking the Old and New Courses at Saint Andrews Links, checking out a 15th century castle (and an even older cathedral), and walking the ancient streets. What more can you ask? I'll have to wait to upload most of the pictures, as I just don't have time right now. But there are some good ones. The view looking back over town from the top of the tower is better than any city view I have seen in America. In fact, nothing comes close except some of the viewpoints in Bangkok and Kathmandu. Simply breathtaking!

And the temperature is a balmy 35 or so right now... =)

So now, I'm sitting in an internet cafe in town. Tomorrow, it's over to Stirling for the big Hogmanay celebration at the castle. That should be an amazing experience as well!

The following two pictures are: the 17th Hole of the Old Course at Saint Andrews Links; and at Saint Andrews Cathedral.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home