My Boring Life

Monday, October 8, 2007

Being Alone vs. Enjoying your Life...

Wednesday, 26 April, 2006

This is somewhat in response to a conversation I had today at work with one of my co-workers. She was suggesting that to be happy, you need to be with someone (it's also somewhat in response to my friend Jen's Blogfrom about an hour ago).

I absolutely do not agree that you need to be with someone to enjoy life, or to enjoy art. My response to art, as to life, has more to do with my internal reaction to it. Having someone else thrust their opinion of the art at you may influence how you view the art. You might think that a particular piece is not overly good (and in my opinion, this is far too often the case), yet if someone next to you thinks that the piece is the definition of brilliance; you may decide to take a second look, and decide that the art is true genius. But is that really your opinion, or are you acquiescing to their point of view? Is that what makes you happy? If so, by all means, go for it.

I seem to be at the most peaceful, and enjoy my life to a greater extent, when I am alone and "suffering" on my bike. Or running, swimming, climbing, skiing or whatever. As long as I am outside, and doing something I enjoy I am happy. The problem is that when you allow someone else to dictate your pace (or your taste in art/music/movies/etc...) you give up a little of your freedom, and I cannot live that way. That doesn't mean that I always dislike being around other people, just that I do not want to let someone else dictate the terms by which I live my life.

***Warning*** This entry was influenced by strong coffee (from OVC) and by listening to the MacCast podcast...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home