My Boring Life

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tioga Pass

Sunday, 27 May, 2007, 10:49 - Cycling, Running, Legends

Yesterday morning, I woke up at around 6:15 at Tioga Lake. As soon as I was alert enough to drive, I went down the pass and parked near the Mobile Station (Whoa Nellie Deli). After drinking some coffee, I was off on my bike for the ride up Tioga Pass. The road is way mellow for the first four miles or so, and then you pass the gate where the road closes in wintertime, and the climbing begins. Even then, the road isn't really that steep, though it is a very consistent 8% grade for the next six miles. Then only part a bit annoying is that you can see where the road goes the whole time. You're constantly reminded of how much more climbing you have to go. But then, like magic, you round a corner and Ellery Lake is in front of you. This isn't the end of the climb, but it is the end of the hard part. From here, the road is a thoroughly enjoyable ramble through the alpine environment.

After I breezed through the entry to Yosemite National Park, I began the descent into Tuolumne Meadows, which is a very nice steady downhill, which allowed me to maintain a speed of well over 30 MPH for most of it. Before long, I was into the Meadows Store, and restoking my energy with a sports drink and a cookie. Oh so good! After talking to a couple of climbers in the parking lot (one of them recognized me from the gym), and getting bitten by a dozen mosquitoes; I was off on the road again for the return to Lee Vining.

The road back up to Tioga Pass was a fairly casual grade, and I was able to keep my speed up around 9 MPH for most of the climb. Not bad, but I think that if I was properly aclimatized, I'd be able to go much faster. Near the top, I took a break at a turnout and just sat and enjoyed the sublime view of the Tuolumne high country. This surely is among the finest scenery that I have ever ridden through.

Back on the road, I came to the top of the pass and began the descent back down the east side of the Sierra crest. This road has a very good surface (except for the areas below the rockslides, but you can see them coming well in advance), and I was able to do most of the upper part at over 40 MPH, hitting speeds of just over 48. In seemingly no time, I was back at my car and going into the deli to get some food and beer (Mammoth Double Nut Brown, of course!).

My time up Tioga Pass was 1:32 (not bad for 12 miles and 3200 feet of climbing ending at 9946 feet). The total distance was 41 miles, with 4500 feet of climbing.



Later in the day, I went for a run along the bike path northwest of South Lake Tahoe. That was fun, but I could really feel the morning's effort in my legs. 3.5 miles...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home