My Boring Life

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Return Of The Earthquakes

I held back on my normal Saturday crazy ride in order to go up and welcome the San Jose Earthquakes back to the MLS (Major League Soccer). The old Earthquakes moved to Houston after the 2005 season and became the Dynamo. We now have the 'Quakes back, but as an expansion team. So we can't expect too much from them this season, but they are at least exceeding my own expectations. This team is fun to watch: and I will admit that chanting and singing in support of a team sure beats not having a team to support.

I left home this morning around 8:00 AM to ride to the BART station in Fremont. After an uneventul ride, I stopped at the Raley's in Fremont to pick up a sandwich and a beer to enjoy before the game. Then I was off to meet the boys and girls from The Casbah, Club Quake and the 1906 Ultras.

After 2.5 hours of standing in the sun (today was the first 80+ degree day of the year), I could tell that my feet were starting to bake. Something about wearing sandals with no socks... But the conversations were good, centering -quite naturally- around football. I even met a guy from Ireland who is a hardcore Glasgow Celtic fan (he grew up going to the games just about every week).

Once inside the stadium, we were treated to the return of the MLS trophies (from 2001 and 2003), and the match ball being delivered by a couple of skydivers. Fun stuff. The chanting was nearly nonstop for the full match. Perhaps the nicest part was chanting for Chris Rodriguez. He's a young kid who was hit by a stray bullet and paralyzed. But he got to here his name being chanted from the supporters' sections at the Coliseum. And you could tell that it really made his and his mom's day.

The game seemed almost to go by way too quick. The 'Quakes had plenty of decent scoring chances, but couldn't quite get the ball in to the net. And the Fire managed to get one in to make the score 0-1. Not too bad if you consider that the last game Chicago played, they had crushed the Revolution 4-0 (the Revs were the Eastern Conference champions last season).

After the match was over, I got on my bike and rode back home (about 33 miles). The ride was much mellower than I had anticipated despite the heat getting to me. But every time the heat started to bug me, I'd just think about what Joan must be going through up in Davis. So it can't be all that bad for me!

All in all, a pretty good day. 48 miles on my bike, one good football match and I got to meet Krazy George...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/Fueco/Quakes041208/

1 Comments:

  • Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 20, 2008 at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home