My Boring Life

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Live Music and Riding

Saturday, 26 August, 2006, 15:44

On Thursday, Soul Asylum played a free show at The Plaza in downtown San Jose. I've noticed that as I get older, it takes a bit longer to warm up for any sort of physical exertion. And it must be much the same for singers. The voices were a bit rough at the beginning, but after a few songs they were up to speed. And by the time they played Runaway Train (one of my favorite songs), they were right back into form. Overall a damned fine show.

On Friday, I went to see The Waifs at the Rio Theatre in Santa Cruz. There's a bit of a backstory for this one, so bear with me for a moment... Last Saturday, I was in town and was going over to my friends' new place to help them move in. Turning onto Seabright from Soquel, I happened to look up at the marquee at the Rio, It said that The Waifs were playing on August 25. So I had to buy a ticket. I first heard of them during a live radio performance on KFOG some time in early 2005. I was instantly hooked on their style, and went out and bought a couple of their albums. Then when I found out they were playing in Santa Cruz (in July of 2005), I went to see them. Vicky and Donna were both pregnant at the time, but they were lively and fun on stage. So back to 2006. They are no longer pregnant, but as fun to see live as ever. And man, can those girls wail (as well as Josh Cuningham)! And their guitar and harmonica skills are only getting better. The opening act, Paul Kelley, was excellent as well. I'm going to have to go out and find some of his albums.

Saturday afternoon, I also went for a kickass bike ride. Starting from the Seabright area of Santa Cruz, I rode up Highway One to Bonny Doon Road, and up that past Bonny Doon. Then back down to Smith Grade and Empire Grade back into Santa Cruz. An excellent 60km ride with a decent amount of climbing. The descent down Empire is very fun...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home