My Boring Life

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Breweries

Monday, 7 August, 2006, 21:46

Just a random post, since I just realize that I've never posted anything about beer in here. So I thought I'd run through a top 5 of my favorite breweries (only the ones I have visited). And of course, why...

1. Deschutes Brewery (Bend, Oregon). Mostly for the Black Butte Porter and Mirror Pond Pale Ale, but all of the beers that I've tried have been great. And the pub has a nice feel to it, and added to the good food that makes it a place worth visiting when you are going through Bend (and skipping Smith Rocks).

2. Fish Brewing Company (Olympia, Washington). The legend began with the Detonator Dopplebock (which I haven't had since it is seasonal) which depicts the destruction of a dam on its label. When I went in to the Fishbowl Pub, I was amazed to find $3 pints (a rarity here in the Bay Area), good food and a nice cozy atmosphere. Their barleywine-style ale was probably the best I've had, which in my book would make them stand out. But the Oktoberfestbier is also really good. The only one of their beers I don't really care for is the Wild Salmon Organic Pale Ale.

3. North Coast Brewing Company (Fort Bragg, California). This has the winner for best single beer I've had (Cask Conditioned Red Seal Ale), and my favorite stout (Old Rasputin Imperial Stout), the only thing they're missing is a competitor in the porter and pale ales made by Deschutes, otherwise they would be number one. And the pub is absolutely brilliant; both in atmosphere and in food quality.

4. Seabright Brewery (Santa Cruz, California). This one gets the nod due to the bicycle friendly nature of the business. Any company that would put its logo on a bike jersey is all right by me. Its location is perfect after a day at the beach or before a show at the Rio Theater. Their Oatmeal Stout is among the best I've had, and yes the food is outstanding.

5. Gordon Biersch (San Jose, California). What can I say about my local hangout? Good beer and a friendly staff. Even the bartender knows me by my first name; which is a bit cool since I don't get in there all that often (maybe once a week during the winter months). I only really drink the darker beers (Marzen, Dunkles and Schwarzbier), but GB is more about the atmosphere than anything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home