My Boring Life

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Finding Serenity

Saturday, 29 July, 2006, 18:19

A friend asked the other day if I had ever found serenity. She seemed amazed when I replied that I thought everyone had at some point or another. Thinking about it further, I have to say that I find it pretty much every day, at least for a little while. I noticed it twice today.

I went up to San Francisco this morning to pick up my new bike (pics soon, I promise), but before that, I went up to Aquatic Park to go for a swim. Once I became acustomed to the cold water (takes a couple hundred yards or so), I settled into a worry-free existance, thinking about nothing really (except perhaps about the mechanics of the freestyle stroke). I really enjoy swimming in open water (especially salt water), and only long bike rides seem to offer the same sense of calm.

The second time was while I was out riding my new bike (a Bianchi San Jose). I always feel a sense of joy when out riding, and this was no different. But add the fact that the simplicity of the bike leaves no room to worry about anything except where you are going, and you have the perfect recipe for reaching prana. Riding with the wind out on the levees at the south end of San Francisco Bay, I felt as good as I ever had on a bike. Even scaring up a flock of seagulls added to the serenity of that couple of minutes (sorry for the bad music reference).

And now sitting here on the couch, watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and drinking a Thunderhead IPA, I'm almost there again. = )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home