My Boring Life

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Just Another Crazy Ride...

Sunday, 17 June, 2007, 11:51 - Cycling

My plan was simple: climb Kings Mountain Road, Old La Honda Road, Montebello Road, Mount Eden/Pierce Road, and Highway 9. All of these in one day would surely be a worthy challenge; and a worthy warmup for the Death Ride next month.

I intended on a 6:00 AM start, but just couldn't drag myself out of bed early enough, so I ended up not starting until nearly 7:30. The memory of last night's workout was still in my muscles, but I figured that I could work through it. And for the most part I was right. The ride up into Woodside was uneventful, and soon enough I was starting up Kings Mountain (the clock starts at the old Woodside Store). The climb is rather enjoyable and a consistent 7.1% grade for all 4.2 miles. Not bad! My dad saw me climbing the hill as he was going back down, and we talked for a couple of minutes before going off our own ways (he climbed Kings twice yesterday). My total time ended up being 31:30, which I suppose isn't bad for my first go on the hill. At the top, I headed south on Skyline through the fog drip falling like rain. I was actually pretty cold up there, and the descent down Highway 84 was a relief after that.

From there I made my way over to Old La Honda and started up that. I'm sure that I have never suffered so much on a hill! I guess I used all my energy sprinting up Kings Mountain... After everyone and their sister passed me, I made the top in 32 minutes (7:30 off of my best time, and my slowest time by 5 minutes!). Then I headed back down 84 and back down Foothill and off to attempt Montebello Road, which I had never been on riding a road bike. But first I stopped for lunch at Trader Joe's...

After climbing the short hill to Steven's Creek Reservoir, the weather turned a bit to the hot side, and I was soon suffering even more. I started up Montebello but only made it a mile before realizing that it was just too hot and exposed to the sun. Another day I will go back and do the whole thing!

From there, I headed up to Mount Eden Road and the short climb up over to Pierce. Then I struggled up that hill as well (it is actually one of the steeper hills in the area (but fortunately it is only a half of a mile)). Then I descended the lower part of Highway 9, and on to Peets with a side trip around West Valley College (what are they doing to the swimming pool?!). At Peets I ran into one of my co-workers (Christian), and after chatting for a while and resting my feet I headed off for the remaining 11 miles...

After all that, I went off to Jean's birthday celebration and bowled a couple of games at AMF Milpitas and then headed over to Banana Leaf for a great dinner of Malaysian food.

All in all, just about 94 miles on the bike; and about 6000 feet of climbing. Good times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home