My Boring Life

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sunday Morning Coming Down (Part 2)

Sunday, 4 June, 2006, 21:32

This morning I really felt the lyrics of Johny Cash's song (Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt...).

That was the third song that popped up on my iPod on random play while driving north out of Bishop. And after yesterday's ride, what more could I expect than to be incredibly sore? But at least mentally I feel more complete than I have in a while. Of course, it might just be that I really needed those 4 days off from work (duh!)...

After riding around Lake Tahoe on Thursday, I drove down to the hot springs near Mammoth to soak for a while. Sitting in there, drinking an Old Stock Ale (that I got from the brewery on Monday!); life seemed pretty good. After I headed into Mammoth for some food, I hit the Crestview Rest Area for a nice place to sleep for the night.

In the morning, I hit Schat's Bakkery in Mammoth for a cinnamon roll, which I washed down with some fine pressed coffee (thanks to Eugenia at Barefoot for roasting the coffee so well!). Then I went back to the hot spring and soaked for a bit more, sort of prepping my muscles for the torture that lay ahead for the next day.

In Bishop, I went in to the Mountain Gallery to pass a little time before checking into my hotel. Kevin gave me the tour of the place, and introduced me to everyone and I was almost tempted to apply for the job they had posted on the door. But as much as I love Bishop, I'm not sure I could live there.

After settling in at the Super 8 Motel, I pulled my bike out to go for a short ride; yeah, a mere 26 miles. This was mostly to shake out the cobwebs since I hadn't ridden since the day before. And also, if I don't do something physical in a given day I feel lazy. Coming back through town, I checked in for Saturday's ride, then stopped at the Bi-Rite Market for some food. Pork chops, hard-boiled eggs and a brownie. (Yumm!!!)

Then I kicked back in my hotel room with a beer and watched The Blue Collar guys doing their stand-up routines. I don't think so, Scooter. Brilliant...

At 4:25 AM I awoke and quickly changed into my bike clothes, barely conscious of the fact that I was setting out for an absurdly long day of riding. I don't think that hit me for about 6 hours, but more on that later. I rode over to the start at the La Quinta Inn, and before long, we were off.

The ride started off with a tour of the roads south and west of Bishop, so that by the time we actually were out of sight of town, we had covered more than 20 miles. And then it was off into what is probably the toughest climb of the day, up Old Sherwin Grade (Lower Rock Creek Road), which is fairly mellow but also a bit of grind and must be tough later in the day since it is in the sun all day. From the first summit, there was a screaming descent in Rock Creek Canyon, then a mellow climb out to 395. From there, it was north and into the town of Crowley Lake and the second checkpoint. After checking in and refueling, we continued north parrelling and then joining 395 (and then on to 203) for the ride up into Mammoth Lakes. From town, we went through the Mammoth Scenic Drive, which has a fast descent onto 395. And then on to the Crestview Rest Stop for checkpoint #3, which is about where the riding starts to seem a little monotonous (although the scenery was still very nice!).

From there, it was on to the June Lakes Loop, which starts out fairly nice, passing June, Gull and Silver Lakes; but the turns bleak when going past Grant Lake. Grant just seems to last forever, with no shade, nor much vegetation of any kind. Finally though we crossed a little rise in the road an descended back to 395 for the ride up into Lee Vining. After passing through town, the road drops for a mile or so, and then seems to take forever to get you to the county park. But finally, like a mirage, it's there; along with soda, turkey sandwiches and plenty of granola bars. When I went to leave I noticed that I had a flat tire, so I had to pause to fix that before continuing on for the remaining 93 miles.

Back on the road, I slogged up the hill back to Lee Vining, and then after a fairly quick 10 miles, made the left turn onto 120 east towards Benton. Only 46 miles to the next town! The road up to Sagehen Summit is one of those that would be great if you were riding with fresh legs. But coming after 130 miles, it seems brutally long. At least I was able to chat with a couple of other riders while grinding up the hill. The fantasies about what food we were going to eat at the finish were already starting to dance in our minds. Steak was sure sounding good about then!

After reaching a false summit and seeing another small valley ahead, I was beginning to wonder how much longer this could go on. I decided that I would pause at the top of the next rise to take a short break. When I got to the top, I was overjoyed to see the sign announcing Sagehen Summit! The climbing was over for the day! Well, not really; but we'll stick to that thought for now.

I stopped at the checkpoint there, and restocked my gatorade; and consumed another 800 calories worth of food. And then off for the fast descent off the summit (nearly 50 MPH at the fastest). After the steep part at the top, the road makes a long series of ups and downs (as roads often seem to do in desert landscapes), some of which seemed brutal. But the worst part was the condition of the road. It really needs to be repaved! There are separations in the road about ever 20 feet; and riding across these is quite jarring on the body and on the bike. I was cursing the DOT most of the way along this stretch. Coming down through the last valley, I was almost disheartened to see another climb, but fortunately, it was too steep, and there was a sign at the top that would put a spring in any cyclist's step. 7% grade, next 3 miles!

So after flying down those 3 miles in record time, I passed the Benton Hot Springs, and found myself in town, and at the final checkpoint. After kicking back there for a solid 20 minutes, and refilling my camelback; it was off on the tailwind-aided final 36 miles of the day. The first 6 miles or so out of town, I was cruising at 30+ MPH, and after the road levelled out a bit, I was still flying at 25+ until about 20 miles to go. The tailwind sort of died, and the road was fairly flat. So the last few miles were a bit of a slog. That is, until I saw Five Bridges Road (about 2 miles to go). time for a final sprint! I almost fell over waiting for the signal light to get on Main Street, but managed not to, and the sprinted the last half mile to the finish. What a relief!

As luck would have it; after kicking back and relaxing for a half-hour or so, I went to leave and realized I had another flat tire. I almost decided to walk the 3/4 mile back to the hotel, but didn't. I have to have some sort of dignity! But changing the tubes was a hell of a lot easier after 107 miles than it was after 200!

After cleaning up, I walked (yes, I could still walk) over to Amigo's and had one of their kickass Chicken Changas. And then off to sleep, still watching Ron White and Larry The Cable Guy on the TV...

And then I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home