My Boring Life

Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Worst Day Since Yesterday

Saturday, 11 November, 2006, 00:08 - Philosophy, Humor, Legends

And yes, the song-title theme continues for yet another posting. This one comes from Flogging Molly...

Sometimes things just happen that make you wonder if the world truly has gone mad. Tonight was definitely one of those nights.

After leaving work, I went for a nice bike ride down the coast to New Brighton State Beach. The ride was just fine, despite the fact that Mr. Toot's was too busy to get a cup of coffee. Instead, I headed back into Santa Cruz and grabbed a cup at Santa Cruz Coffee Roasters. After that, I went over to Planet Fresh Burritos. I almost locked my bike to a tree, but decided to lock it to the stop sign instead. And then I went in and got one of their excellent Surf and Turf Burritos (steak and prawn), and sat down for a while to read. About an hour later, I went outside to get on my bike and head back to work to grab my stuff and go home.

Then I realized that someone else had locked their bike to mine. Just brilliant! Now I get to stand around and wait for them to come back so I can leave. Now, I've never been the most patient person in the world, but I gave them plenty of time to come back. If they were just out for dinner, an hour and a half would be plenty of time. At 7:30, I called the Santa Cruz Police to see what they could do for me.

The dispatcher wasn't sure that they would be able to do anything, but she called the sergeant to see what he could do. He said that if I could prove the bike was mine, he could cut the lock off the other bike. Naturally, I don't go around carrying the receipt from my bike; and I've never registered a bike. But I explained to him about clipless pedals, and how mine were fairly unique (Crank Brothers isn't exactly the biggest manufacturer of pedals out there, and they aren't even compatible with Shimano pedals). Anyway, he was convinced; and so he went to get his bolt cutters. But then he realized that he didn't have them with him.

So after tracking down the bolt cutters, the officer tried to cut the cable, but this bolt cutter was too small. So he had to go off on a quest for a larger set of cutters. When he finally came back with the new set of cutters, he was able to easily cut through the cable.

The funniest part was the drunk guy that walked past during this last bit. He crossed the street, and walked up to the policeman and said," I'm just walking home."

The cop responded with, "Okay."

Drunk, "Have a nice evening."

Cop, "You too."

Cop, to me and the kid doing the ride-along with him, "Alcohol is a wonderful thing, eh?"

Ride-along kid, "Did you see his pants?"

Me, looking over to see that the guy had quite obviously pissed himself; "Oh, that's just wrong..."

Yeah, alcohol is a wonderthing. And the mushrooms that the dumbass who locked his bike to mine must have been high on are a "wonderful thing" as well...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home