My Boring Life

Saturday, December 8, 2007

My Favorite Song...

Thursday, 1 February, 2007, 20:40 - Music

I get asked all the time what my favorite song is. What is it about me that makes people ask that question of me? I rarely ask the same of other people. But I will give my response, in writing, and will even provide a free analysis of the lyrics...

First off, you get the story of how I first heard of the band. Unsuprisingly, this occured while I was riding my bike to work (it must have been around October of 2004). The guys (and gals) on the Dave Morey Show on KFOG radio were interviewing the members of the Australian folk-rock band The Waifs. They seemed interesting, so I kept listening. Then they did a couple of songs live on the radio. And I was simply blown away that anyone could sound that good while performing live. The songs they did were Lighthouse and Bridal Train, which have become some of my favorites.

Of course, the next day, I rode over to Rasputin Records and bought the only album that they had there at the time. And I listened to it a lot back in those days. But it wasn't for a few months that I really learned how good these girls (and guy) could sing. I discovered that they had a new live album coming out in a few months, and I just couldn't wait to hear two discs worth of goodness. I finally got ahold of a copy from Australia (you really do have to love EBay, eh?) about a month before it was released in the US. So many great songs! But one song really caught my attention, and it has since become my favorite song.

It's not that I can thoroughly relate to the story within the lyrics, but it does seem to speak of everything that can be right in this world. What more can you ask than to live your life the way you choose, and then be buried in the place where you came from? If you can't ramble through this world, are you truly free? And does anyone out there not think of home when they are out travelling?

Check out a few of their tunes on their MySpace page to hear them for yourself. And next time they go on tour; do yourself a favor: go see them live!

When I die wont you bury me
In the town where I was born
Most of my life Ive been rambiling free
When I die I want to come back home

Ever since I was a baby child
I knew I was born to roam
I had to climb to the top of the hill
Just to see what lies beyond
Now seasons change and I am still the same
I dont belong to anyone
Still a piece of me will always be
Sitting in my hometown sun

In my time I have seen ten thousand setting suns
And I made my bed where I lay my head
And it never hurt anyone
It could be said that a girl like me
Aint nothing but a prodigal son
And just like that prodigal boy Im gonna finish off where I've begun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home