My Boring Life

Saturday, November 3, 2007

A crash and a hot spring...

Tuesday, 26 December, 2006, 09:08 - Beer, Travel, Skiing

Saturday night, I stayed the home of my friends Doug and Allyn. We had some of Doug's homebrewed beer, and watched a ski video. Such good times! The Marsh's Neighborhood Pub: Warm Friends, Cold Beer! Quite the motto, eh?

Sunday morning, I drove from Folsom up to Northstar for some skiing. I met my friend Vince up there and rode most of the day with him. That was fun, except for trying to ski Burnout with too little snow cover. I got a great workout trying to make it down that one. Sunday night, I crashed in my normal parking lot, and managed to get enough sleep. In the morning though, I had to settle for Starbucks as every other coffee shop was closed for Christmas. At least it was one of the better locations I've found (this one was in the Village at Northstar).

I was actually doing very well in the morning, until some gumby snowboarder cut me off. When he did so, it forced me to almost crash into someone else. I ran over the other guy's skis and crashed hard. I was just coming into the steepest part of the West Ridge, and crashed head first. My body slammed the ground, and I felt my helmet hit hard on the snow. Yeah, helmets are ALWAYS a good thing! The force of the impact twisted my boots out of the bindings (not easy to do with telemark bindings). Fortunately, I seem to be just a bit bruised up. But my left knee is a little sore; so I'm just hoping it's not too serious... I managed a few more runs after the crash, but my heart wasn't in it any more. So I headed off out of town.

I drove down the east side of Tahoe, and over 50 out to Carson City. Then I headed south on 395. It's just beautiful out there this time of year! I made it to Mammoth right at sunset, and then headed out to the hot springs to soak for a while. That felt heavenly, especially with some ibuprofen and good beer coursing through my body!

After enjoying that for a while, I headed down to Bishop and slept at the Pit (the climbers' campground). And now, fueled by The Looney Bean, I'm nearly ready to start off my day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home