My Boring Life

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Riding Past Ice-Covered Ponds

Saturday, 13 January, 2007, 17:03 - Cycling

For some crazy reason, I decided to ride up Highway 9 today...

Normally, that's no big deal; I've done it several dozens of times. But today was different, as the morning low in Saratoga was between 22 and 28 depending on which part of town you were in. Obviously, it would be colder up the canyon above town.

I started out once the temperature at home went above 40; and headed directly toward the hill. The temps were a bit cool, but by keeping in motion I kept it tolerable. But once I went through downtown Saratoga, it got cold quick. There was still ice in places along the shoulder, but the road was dry, which is always a good thing.

The temperatures got colder and colder as I went, but I just kept plugging along. I ended up with a very slow time for the ascent; but that wasn't my goal today. It was just to make it, as it has been a few months since I've ridden regularly. But I need to train for upcoming crazy rides, so I have to start somewhere!

When I got to the top, I sat in the sun and changed into a dry shirt. Then I put on my long-sleeve shirt and hat to keep "warm" during the descent. If going up was misery in the cold, going downhill was a whole new heightened state of misery. Fortunately all the shivering didn't make me lose control of the bike; and I made it to the Blue Rock Shoot in one piece and went in for some coffee. Even in there, I couldn't warm up. So I just headed home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home